Saturday, 30 June 2018

Rediscovering the Joy of Reading

Lately I've begun to read a lot more, and my interest in writing has also somehow, reignited itself. I recall really enjoying writing back in secondary school, but it had all stopped rather abruptly since I entered poly. I miss writing essays, either for english or literature and having the opportunity to use the flowery and colourful language that I could muster in me. A sense of satisfaction often accompanied finishing a good piece of writing, and a sense of excitement when reading my peers' beautifully crafted pieces.

I guess poly really did bring into my life a completely different group of people, culture and background-wise. The people whom I mixed most often with in poly were not the type to enjoy reading/writing, and I soon became much like them, and abandoned reading for several years. There were more enticing things at the time. On hindsight, consumerism was a big part of where my time during those years were spent - desiring material things, working part-time to be able to afford said material things, and continuing on to want the next material thing. It was quite a cycle I didn't know at the time, I was caught in. It's true that you easily become the people you hang out with the most - the power of influence, they say. And being sucked into consumerism, it did not even occur to me to want to develop my reading/writing skills, and I completely forgot, or chose to forget the sweetness and satisfaction of good plots, good use of language and the emotions that are elicited from such things.

Thankfully, I've rediscovered the joy of reading again, or it has found me again. I pray that I will never tire or get sick of it again, which is a real fear when law school starts and the fear of drowning in academic readings may not only take my time for leisurely reading away, but might also pull me away from wanting to read anything else too. God forbid that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment