Thursday, 8 November 2012

New emotions

Watched Perks yesterday. Definitely a movie I'd be watching again. I thought the book was good, and the movie was just as good, if not better. Since it was directed by the author himself, Stephen Chbosky made sure it followed the book exactly. The editing, the soundtrack, amazing. Nothing like ever before. Hats off to Chbosky and his ability to capture such emotions in words, and also in (moving) pictures. I think he should write more, because I'd definitely read his works.

Other than the aesthetics of the movie, I thought the sincerity and depth of feelings portrayed is extremely poignant. (Ogod this sounds like a sentence I'd write in a lit essay)  It gave me new emotions. I think feeling new emotions is very overwhelming, because it's not a one-off thing, and it runs throughout your body. It's not a new touch, where you feel a foreign texture, and you can lift your finger any time you like, it's not like a new flavour where you have time to chew, and for your brain to process. It's a new emotion, it runs through your entire body much like your blood does, and pulses from your head to your toes. In such instances, I often find myself asking "what is this feeling I'm feeling?" I guess, after a while, these emotions develop and people begin to familiarize with them and find them in other situations. I guess, this is how people become more sensitive and mature, and this allows them to have the ability to relate to situations that were once foreign.

The friend I watched the movie with was rather shaken by the events that had taken place before her eyes, because she came to the realization of the extent of shelteredness that she has been surrounded by her whole life, and was starting to fear the world out there. I, however, did not really react as much as she did. It could be because I read the book twice previously, but the film really brought more life and intensity to the feelings that were already portrayed in the book. I guess, I'm just more used to the ugly side of the world, and perhaps, I'm a little less sheltered than she is. I've been told I am sheltered before, and I've never stopped thinking about it since. I'm at a standstill as to whether I'm happier being sheltered or not, because it bothers me, and I don't know if it's just me, but it sounds like a negative thing to be sheltered, although being sheltered is technically a good thing. I guess I can go two ways about this, I just haven't decided which.

No comments:

Post a Comment